DORMAC :: Ship Repairs - A full spectrum of Marine & Engineering services
The electrical workshop carries out repairs to all types of welding machines and equipment. Repairs to all portable equipment, fans, drilling machines, grinders, lights, cables, overhauling of electrical motors, and fault finding on equipment in the plant, cranes, pumps, lathes boring mills are also done.
Electrical Ship Repair
DORMAC service's majority vessel's, electrical and electronic equipment. We have a wide range of skills in these various departments to service the needs of the marine industry.
- Supply of new standard frame size motors
- Rewinding of Motors and alternators of all sizes and configurations
- Overhaul of Motors and alternators of all sizes and configurations
- Rewinding of transformers and manufacture of new Transformers
- Balancing of rotors and impellors
- Re-sleeving and machining of motor end shields and bearing journals
- Manufacture of switch gear and control panels
- Supplier of most electrical equipment and spares
- Fault finding and repairs to automation systems (Electrical and
Programmable Logical Computer)
- General installation work (i.e. running of cables, fitting units
and multi cable transits.)
- Shore supply and generator hire.
- Cleaning of Switchboards
- Supply of personnel for Off Port Limits and riding crew work
- Repairs to navigational equipment
- Boiler repairs
- Fire Jobs
- Flooding of engine rooms and various compartments
- Repair and install alarm systems (fire alarms, main engine alarms,
- Repairs to fire detection and smoke detection systems
- Install and repair telephone systems
- Installations and repairs to temperature monitoring systems
- Repairs to cranes and other various cargo equipment
- Fault find and repair windless's, capstans and winches
- Repairs to Cathodic protection systems
- Repair and supply of galley equipment (galley range, bake ovens etc)
Project experience includes a full range of piping engineering services including original design or evaluation, installation, repair, modification and failure investigation.
Projects have involved a wide range of load types, environmental and site
conditions. DORMAC has a comprehensive understanding of ASME piping code
requirements thus have a thorough understanding of code provisions.
DORMAC has extensive experience in Non-destructive examination techniques eg: radiography, magnetic particle inspection, ultrasonic scanning as well as dye penetrant.
DORMAC can assist in determining conformance and needs in procedure applicability, personnel qualification and equipment suitability.
DORMAC also provides personnel for special inspection situations and technique.
- Stainless steel
New piping can be hot and cold formed or fabricated. Pipe systems include:
Blasting, Painting and Cleaning
The blasting and painting division was created when Dusty Miller, an established blasting and painting company, went into liquidation in 1996. All the equipment was bought over, and DORMAC has been able to successfully compete in this field to become one of the major marine painting contractors in South Africa.
This division now operates with the largest blasting pots in South Africa and is able to operate more than 60 blast nozzles simultaneously. The waste materials are disposed of using environmentally approved/certified waste disposal companies. All major paint brands are available in South African Ports.
Qualified and experienced teams have joined a vessel at various ports around the world in order to undertake repairs during voyages, limiting idle time of quayside floating repairs. These include mechanical, piping, steel, cleaning, diving, cofferdam repairs and stern tube seal renewals.
General dry-docking services, Main engines, Propeller repairs, Tail Shaft surveys, Overhaul of Diesel engines, Pumps, Winches, Valves, Steam boilers, Gearboxes, Derricks, Sheaves, General afloat repairs, Planned Maintenance and Special Surveys.
Main Engine Repairs
All makes of engines, Classification society approved Reconditioning.
We recondition all of the following:
- Cylinder covers
- Piston crowns and skirts
- Exhaust valves/cages
- Turbo chargers
- Fuel Injectors
- Crankshaft replacement and any General maintenance
- Repairs and reconditioning of cracked castings and cylinders
- Tail shafts and rudder
- Connecting rods
- Pumps and castings / housings
- General ship repair and maintenance
- Reconstruction of shafts, gear rings and bushes
- Cylinder Heads and Valves
DORMAC has direct links to manufacturers and suppliers worldwide with the advantage of our buying power and preference service agreements. DORMAC also reconditions spare parts including valve spindles and seats, piston crowns, cylinder heads, governors, fuel injectors, rebuilding Exhaust Valves, Cylinder Heads, Valves, and Turbo Chargers.
DORMAC utilises the National Port Authority's facilities in conjunction with its ship repair services. The National Ports Authority operates the following ship repair facilities in the Port of Durban.
Prince Edward Graving Dock:
- Overall docking length 352,04m
- Length on keel blocks 327,66m
- Length on bottom 352,04m
- Width at entrance on top 33,52m
- Inner dock 138,68m
- Outer dock 206,9m
- Depth at entrance 11m
The Prince Edward Graving dock can be divided into two compartments of 206,9m and 138,68m. The graving dock can be emptied in four hours. Five electric cranes service this dock with capacities ranging from 1 x 50t with a 10t attached, 1 x 24t, 1 x 15t, 1 x 10t, 2 x 8t.
The floating dock has a lifting capacity of 4500 tons and has 2 electric cranes capable of travelling the full length of the starboard and port side of the dock.
- Overall length 100m
- Length on keel blocks 95m
- Length on bottom 100m
- Overall Width 21.6m
- Width at entrance 22m
- Height on keel blocks 1.4m
- Draft on keel blocks at MHWS 6m
DORMAC Repair Quay
- Length of quay, 195m.
- Capacity with use of mooring buoy to accommodate panamax vessels
up to 250m.
- Draft 8m.
- Liebherr quayside crane with 50t lifting capacity at 30m and 15
ton lifting capacity at 50m.
- Quay is serviced by shore power, freshwater, firewater and compressed
- Hatch repair yard can accommodate up to thirty seven, 30 ton hatch covers.
DORMAC’s grillage area is supported by the following cranage:
- Demag Goliath 30t / 60t / 30t maximum lifting capacity in tandem
of 120ton using a spreader beam.
- Demag Goliath 25t / 5t with a lifting capacity of 25t.
- Demag Goliath 15t / 5t with a lifting capacity of 15t.
DORMAC Steel Fabrication Shop
DORMAC’S fabrication shop has an undercover area of 1300 square meters which is equipped with cutting, rolling, pressing, welding equipment and a furnace with capacity for shafts, rudder stock and tail shafts.
Fabrication from ferrous, non-ferrous parts or complete assemblies are quoted on and manufactured on a 24-hour basis. When working in conjunction with the other divisions on a common project, costs are drastically reduced. We are also able to build large fabricated structures using our structural building areas with 120 ton cranes.
Successful DORMAC projects carried out to date include:
- Accommodation sections
- Hatch Covers
- Cell Guides
DORMAC Pipe Shop
DORMAC can assist clients in a wide range of piping fabrication and design related activities. We also have two overhead cranes of 2 ton each. The broad range of DORMAC’S piping experience includes fossil, geothermal and solar power piping; refinery and chemical system piping; gas and oil transportation, distribution pipelines, overhead cranage and many specialist piping applications.
- The workshops are divided into the following:
- Fabrication and Welding with 5 and 7 ton cranage
- Heavy Bay machining with 2 x 25/5 ton overhead cranes
- Light Bay Machining with 2 x 5 ton overhead cranes
- Fitting Bay sharing light bay cranes
- CNC section (Catia 5 programming)
1 Belfast Road, Bayhead
PO Box 12568 Jacobs 4026
Telephone : +27 31 274 1500
Facsimile : +27 31 274 2938
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O Box 1195 Richards Bay 3900
Tel: +27 35 797 3717
Fax: +27 35 797 5026
6a Marine Drive,,
Paarden Eiland, 7420
Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: +27 21 512 2900
Fax: +27 21 510 4658
Email : email@example.com
11935 Platinum St,
P.O Box 209 Paarden Eiland 7420
Tel: +27 22 714 0708
Fax: +27 22 714 4988
4th Street East, Walvis Bay
P.O Box 2529 4th Street East,
Tel: +264 64 272 900
Fax: +264 64 272 910